Thursday, June 7, 2007

Perles de Lalique : Perfume Review

I first encountered Perles de Lalique sometime last year while on a trip abroad. That first encounter was with the parfum concentration, in its feather-adorned flacon. Considered pretty by many, it was the actual flacon that put me off trying the actual jus on my skin, making me decide it was not worth skin-space at that particular moment. I now regret this, of course. Unbeknownst to me at the time, I would not come across the parfum concentration again. Hindsight is 20/20, as they say... I finally came across the EdP concentration on a day of perfume sampling in another city, (those of you who’ve been reading for a while will likely guess it was indeed on a Saturday morning!) and this time I did not hesitate to try it on my skin. Smelling it for the first time, I was instantly intrigued. I considered the fact that the instant attraction I felt might be due to the fact that Perles came as a sigh of relief after having previously exposed my senses to a number of other, quite disappointing creations on the same day, but I reserved hope that it was the actual quality of the fragrance that enticed me. I have now finished two little samples of Perles de Lalique and I can finally safely say that its original allure has not subsided, but has on the contrary grown. What started off as interest and attraction has developed into affection and respect.

I imagine that the opening notes of Perles might be experienced by some as rather alarming: a blend of spicy, citrucy and very pungent geranium and Bulgarian rose effortlessly wrap around the skin like a vintage lace cuff. This tart opening has just enough sourness to keep things interesting; a yellow-ringed cobalt blue snake that upon closer inspection is not really poisonous. Behind these initial sharp edges, a smooth, flatter base is struggling to emerge, enabling the wearer to experience two dimensions at once as the fragrance begins to develop on the skin. Inhaling close, one can begin to appreciate the polished character of iris forming a harmonious amalgam with that very distinctive love-me-or-hate-me quality of musty white pepper. The woody, mossy notes at the base of this simple yet beautiful blend, bequeath a rather masculine element to the end result, ever so slightly reminiscent of Z by Zegna. This probably comes as no surprise, since iris, cashmere woods, patchouli, oak moss and white pepper are notes they both share. Subsequently, I find myself thinking that Perles de Lalique is a good candidate for a female fragrance that can be carried off equally well by both sexes. I have not yet experienced its development on male skin, but I can say that on me, Perles is a subdued but beautiful chypre. It is all sensible earrings and perfect hair, calm sophistication and self-confidence that form a vision of immaculate dignity. Yes, for me Perles de Lalique was one of the most pleasant surprises of the year 2006.

Images courtesy of www.doctissimo.fr and imagesdeparfums.forumactif.com


8 comments:

Unknown said...

i wonder if this one will ever make it to the US? I have yet to see it pop up on any online discounters. Sounds lovely and like something I would enjoy.

helg said...

Although Lalique has been almost a nemesis for me with their screechingly sweet perfumes, this one sounded wonderful until I realised it has quite a bit of rose... :-( Bummer, just my luck! You had me in there with your description though...

Divina said...

Hi Jenavira,
I must admit I do not really know when Perles will be released in the USA. You can of course order it online, but since it has not yet hit the discounters, it is a shame to pay quite a lot of money for it unsniffed. However, I am more than happy to send you my last little sample of it so that you can try it and see if you like it. Do mail me if you are interested.

Divina said...

Hello Helg dear :) Did you actually try Perles? It is not sweet at all. I am not sure I would characterize the rose in the blend as dominating... Actually to my nose it is not. But if you have issues with rose I understand you probably experience it differently. I know what you mean about the previously saccharine Lalique perfumes! They have certainly been getting things right lately though! Have you smelled Encre Noir? It is lovely. Come to think of it, I'd love to review that one, but I do not have it. Hmm.. I'll see what I can do.

Juvy Santos said...

D, I love the bottle, it's so spectacularly...odd? I dunno, it reminds me a little of the remains of a frightened bird's nest, lol. Lovely review! "yellow-ringed cobalt blue snake that upon closer inspection is not really poisonous"--perfect image :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Divina,
I think the bottle looks like an Ascot hat (as in My Fair Lady)! But the fragrance sounds very poised and soignee: maybe one to look for when I'm next in London? I hoep your weekend is a great success,
With warmest wishes,
Linda

anyasgarden said...

Mercy. The bottle would have drawn me in, at least for it's worth as an art piece. Stunning. Strange. Wild and crazy.

And to hold a chypre? Too funny!

Divina said...

Hello ladies :) Thank you for your comments. I still cannot appreciate the bottle itself I am afraid! I have to admit though it does look quasi-attractive on the polka-dotted background. Gosh I am so tired, I am not even sure I am making sense! Linda, thank you so much for remembering this is an important weekend for me. You are so sweet. *hugs* I too hope it is a success. It is a completely hectic weekend and I don't even know what the hell to wear on the actual day itself (Sunday). There will even be VIPs from different embassies visiting and I am rather terrified of trying to find an outfit, not to mention an appropriate perfume that will not react badly with the hot and humid weather. (the event takes place outdoors, in the gardens of a very old building here in the city..) Anyway..Thanks for reading my stressed-out ramblings. I will be talking more about some male perfumes this coming week, so look forward to it girls!
Kisses from me,
Divina